At the start of each and every month I bring you a list of free things that you can do in the capital. From outdoor ideas to free events, you will find something that suits you and helps out your budget.
Today is November which means that Bonfire Night is soon upon us, and Christmas is only weeks away. With that in mind, you’re going to need all of the money-saving ideas you can get your hands on with only one more pay cheque left until Christmas Day! This month I have 5 free firework displays in London to tell you about, alongside 5 free things to do in London throughout the rest of the month.
As always, I would love to hear if you try any of these ideas- let me know if they are helping you to live a thriftier life in London!
Free firework displays in London
- Blackheath Firework display is one of the biggest free firework displays in London- with tens of thousands of people heading there to see the awe-inspiring show. Blackheath also boasts a funfair as well as a ton of food and drink stands. The display is held on 3rd November this year.
- Battersea Park Fireworks Display costs money to enter, but because the display can be seen from afar, you could easily watch this display from another point around the Thames and not pay a single penny. Imagine how beautiful the fireworks will be reflected in the water!
- The Lord Mayor’s Show is a daytime spectacle held on Saturday 10th November, in an age old tradition where a parade marches between Bank and Aldwcyh, followed by an impressive free firework display at 5:15pm. The fireworks are set off from a moored ship in the Thames, between Blackfriars and Waterloo Bridges. Head to Embankment to get the most amazing views.
- Newham’s Guy Fawkes Night is held on 3rd November this year, with fireworks starting at 7:30pm at Silvertown Docks. The free firework displays in London with a funfair and food and drink stalls are the best one- and Newham has both.
- Light up the Night at Wembley Park is a brand new free fireworks display in London for 2018. Expect live performances and a light parade, all finishing with an impressive fireworks display at 7pm. This display is held on 4th
Free Things to do in London in November
- Poppies: Weeping Window sees the return of the ceramic poppies that graced the tower of London. This time however, they are in the grounds of the Imperial War Museum.
- Jenny Holzer at the Tate Modern. This colourful LED laden display of Holzer’s work from the last 40 years is well worth a look, especially since it is free to visit.
- Queen of Hoxton presents: Lady Celeste’s Parisian Rooftop Bar. Drinks aren’t free on this rooftop bar, but entry is! This rooftop bar has turned into a positively charming Moulin-Rouge inspired space for winter, and even boasts a little red windmill.
- Fancy getting some crafty inspiration for some DIY Christmas presents? Check out the Crafty Fox market on 3rd November at Mercato Metropolitano (Elephant & Castle) where you can get free entry and browse the stalls filled with cards, artwork, and other handmade goodies.
- Whilst the weather is still bearable, why not take a walk around Brick Lane to check out the latest street art? There’s even a free walking tour that you can go on. It is customary to tip your tour guide at the end of the tour, but whether you pay and how much you pay is up to you and the experience that you have.